Recent Posts

Recent Posts...

Friday, May 17, 2013

Our Honor Board

You may recall the parenting book I reviewed back in March, Say Goodbye to Whining,Complaining, and Bad Attitudes in You and Your Kids. What I enjoyed most about this book was its focus on honor. Since reading it, we've worked as a family to show honor to each other. I can't say we are there all the time, and we continue to make plenty of mistakes, so I was trying to think of a way to help encourage my children to encourage, praise, and appreciate one another. I remembered a MOPS craft project I once saw on pinterest. Unfortunately, I didn't pin it because I didn't need to go back to it for instructions. Now I realize I need to just pin everything. It's not that I needed the instructions, but I would have liked to give credit to the blogger who inspired this idea.
Our Honor Board to show appreciation, encouragement, and praise

Her purpose for the board was different, but the process of making it is the same. Basically, I went through my stash of scrapbook paper where I found this perfect page. You can't tell easily from the picture, but the paper has crosses printed lightly in white all over a beige page with the scripture, "But the greatest of these is Love" from 1 Corinthians 13:13 printed on it. 

I found an old inexpensive 5x7 black frame, similar to the ones from our silhouette project. I then cut my scrapbook paper, ensuring the quote would fit centered at the bottom and inserted it into the frame. I grabbed one of the many dry erase markers we seem to have in various places in our house though I'm not sure why. 

Our Honor Board as I call it, sits prominently on a shelf in our family room, low enough for the boys to reach it easily. The rules for using it are simple: You can't erase a message from the board until you know everyone has had a chance to read it. You can only use the board to write positive messages intended to show appreciation, encouragement, and praise to a fellow family member. 

So far, the kids have been good about following the rules. They need a little reminding to use it, but the messages they've written are always very sweet including the one above, written by my middle son the day I treated the kids to doughnuts for breakfast. My favorite, however, was one that none of the boys will admit to writing though I know my husband didn't write it either. It wished the two middle kids good luck on their upcoming baseball game, naming them in the note. Whether the one who wrote it was their older brother or one of the two boys named doesn't matter. The fact that he wanted to encourage his brother (and possibly himself too) was sweet. And, as the book says, we must learn to honor ourselves too.

I hope you'll give this simple project a try and see how it goes in your family. It is very inexpensive, takes only minutes to make, but will make a lasting impression on your family. If you make one, please share your favorite note one of your family members left. 
  I'll be sharing this post at some of these parties here.
 

1 comment:

I appreciate your comments! Please know I read each one.

Blogging tips