Recent Posts

Recent Posts...

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Chocolate Banana Cake

I have three cake recipes that are my favorite to bake and eat: chocolate mint cake, triple chocolate bunt cake, and this one. Do you see a common theme here? Yes, my name is Bonny, and I am a chocoholic. My poor hubby loves fruit desserts, but he only gets those on special occasions like his birthday and Father's Day. 

I found this particular recipe while rummaging through my parents' recipe cards years ago when I was trying to build up a recipe stash of my own. The first time I made it I was pregnant with my now almost-12-year-old son. We were hosting one of our first dinner clubs back when dinner club involved trying out new recipes. That was before children, obviously. The meals we now serve are much less impressive, but with 14 children running around, we are just happy we don't forget to feed anyone. 


If you like bananas and chocolate, you'll love this recipe, and if you don't, well, I just feel sorry for you.

Cake Ingredients:

3/4 cup softened margarine
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 medium ripe bananas
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. cold water

Cake Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 350, melt unsweetened chocolate, and grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans. Set aside. 
2. Cream margarine and brown sugar until well blended.
3. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and bananas breaking up into small chunks as you go. Add melted chocolate. Mixture will look a bit gritty and very wet, surprisingly.
4. Mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to mixture with the water and continue to mix for a couple minutes.
5. The mixture will be rather thick, so dump it into the two greased pans and spread evenly. 
6. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
7. Let stand for five minutes then carefully flip onto cooling racks and allow to cool.

Frosting Ingredients:
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1 medium banana
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1-2 Tbsp. milk

Frosting Steps:
1. Melt and cool unsweetened chocolate and set aside. Mash banana and set aside.
2. Cream together butter and powdered sugar.
3. Stir in banana. Add banana, vanilla, and chocolate to the butter/sugar mixture.
4. Add milk 1 Tbsp. at a time until the frosting can spread easily.

Once cake is cooled, ice the top layer of the bottom tier and then stack the top tier on top. Continue to spread the cake with frosting. You can garnish the top with sliced bananas too. 

I made this cake for Mother's Day this year, and everyone loved it. I hope your family will too. 




I'll be sharing this post at some of these parties here.  

1 comment:

  1. I am so going to make this!!
    Just found your blog!
    Looking forward to getting to know you and keeping up with your blog.

    xo
    Christina
    pieceitalltogetherx3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Please know I read each one.

Blogging tips