We have some friends we enjoy getting together with, and when we do, I'm always put in charge of the desserts. I don't mind because I like baking, and I love trying new things. I found a triple chocolate cake recipe that I figured I could simplify with a boxed cake mix to take to their house for a mid-summer pool party.
What I like about bundt cakes is they tend to be so moist that you don't need icing. That makes them easy to transport and less of a mess for kids to eat.
To make this cake, you'll need the following:
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 1 small package of chocolate pudding mix (3.9 oz)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed (If you don't have this, you can use another egg and reduce water to just 1/2 cup.)
- 8 ounces of sour cream
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- With an electric mixer, mix all the ingredients except the chocolate chips together on medium speed for two minutes.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spray bundt pan with non-stick oil.
- Pour batter in bundt pan and bake for one hour.
- Cool in pan for at least ten minutes, flip and remove pan. Let cool further.
I promise you will love this dessert. While it is easy to make, it's impressive. I love cheating with cake mixes. Is it healthy? Not in the least? Is it low fat? Absolutely not. I wouldn't even attempt it with a low-cal sour cream. Some treats have to be rich and fattening, but that's what makes them a treat. And as long as you don't treat yourself to treats on a daily basis, why not indulge on an occasional weekend when spending time with close friends?
I'll be sharing this post at some of these parties here or here.