Recent Posts

Recent Posts...

Monday, November 5, 2012

Give Thanks Tree Hand Print Project

Soon after I made the Halloween Canvas with my children's footprints, I realized just how much I loved having something cute to cover my family's ugly collection of DVDs and Blu-Rays, so I began brainstorming ones to create for other holidays. 

For Thanksgiving, we decided to use handprints and finger prints to create fall trees. I chose "Give Thanks" as the title because it reminds me of one of my favorite Bible verses: "Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Jesus Christ" -1 Thessalonians 5:18. Many of my friends on Facebook and with blogs spend the month of November, sharing one blessing a day, which I think is a lovely idea. I've seen some of the most adorable ways to create thankful trees so the whole family can get involved as well. My family is very blessed with good health, a wonderful community where we live, great schools, and a country that allows us to worship God. Those are just a few of the many blessings I am thankful for on a daily basis, but I'm not making a thankful tree right now. I'm making a canvas that will hopefully not only cover that eye sore my husband has created with his collection of Blu-Rays but will also remind us on a daily basis not to forget to be thankful and appreciate everything, big and small, that God has done for us.

Since one of my greatest blessings is my children, isn't it most appropriate to use their hands and fingers to create the scene for my "Give Thanks" project? This is exactly how I went about creating this project:

1. I spent just under $3 on the four 2 oz. bottles of acrylic paint and about $4 on the 12"X16" stretched canvas. I needed a little more height than with the ghosts, but I couldn't find a 12"x20" size, which would have been ideal for my situation. Of course, your desired size will vary depending on the number of hand prints you'll use and their size. (My oldest son is 11, but he's already 5'1, so I needed at least a foot for his "tree" to fit.) I already had the sponge brushes and letter stencils from the Halloween project, and I grabbed a paper plate and paper towels. The paint colors were China Blue, Melted Chocolate, Bright Yellow, Spiced Carrot, and English Ivy Green. 

2. The night before, I painted the canvas with two coats of the China Blue. I don't like a white canvas, but I didn't want a color that would clash with the fall shades. This one seemed to do the trick to create a pail grayish blue color, typical of a fall day without creating too much of a contrast with the actual images I wanted to stand out.


3. The next morning, I called my children up one at a time to first paint their palms and forearms in brown and carefully place them onto the canvas. I also gently put my hand under the canvas to press it onto their hands.  Because the paint seemed to be drying quickly, I decided to paint my oldest son's tree in two stages, his arm as the trunk first and then his hand. (This time we remembered to do all right hands for my three right-handed kids and the left hand for my one proud lefty.)


 
4. Once all four hands had been finished, we could paint on the leaves. I squirted the yellow, orange, and green onto a plate and let each child, one at a time, basically finger paint the leaves on their trees, going mostly around the branches and having some falling down or resting on the ground. 




5. After cleaning up those messy hands for a second time, I sent them on their way so I could paint on the letters in orange. 
  
Here's my finished project hiding those Blu-Rays a bit. I will do some work re-stacking them so they are all hidden later.
 
I already have another canvas ready for Christmas. Any suggestions on hand or foot print ideas for that one? 




PIN MEme


I'll be sharing this post at some of these parties here.

16 comments:

  1. These are sooo stinking adorable! Love projects with the kids.. so sweet and a great way to remember what we are most thankful for!
    xoxo
    amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AmieAnn! The kids had fun making it too.

      Delete
  2. Oh, how sweet! I just love projects that preserve those darling lil hand prints! Thank you! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Cute Idea, going to have to try this one with the kiddos. Thanks! Christy @rilosandmimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari and I are going to do this with our kids... hopefully this weekend so we can enjoy it longer. I can't wait to see what you come up with for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute, what a fun idea! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! That a treasure! I've pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precious! What a great idea. I have done finger print leaves before but not the hand tree....love!
    Steph
    swtboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun and so special that you remembered the lefty! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonny,
    I love this craft! Great way to keep the kids hand prints for when they are older :) Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great project. It came out so cute. Thanks so much for sharing at last Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party. This weeks party is live. The link to the party is
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-link_14.html
    Can't wait to see you there.
    Have a great week.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to invite you to join me at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-8-and-rural.html

    I hope to see you there!
    Cheers!
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonny, This is one of this week's features at Pin Me. Come grab a featured button. You can find my buttons tabbed near the top of my sidebar. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. I've grabbed your button for my post and sidebar.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful. That was a cool project you did there. I really like it a lot.

    Discount Canvas Prints

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Please know I read each one.

Blogging tips