Recent Posts

Recent Posts...

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tae Kwon Do Belt Promotion Cake

When I began my blog, I promised to present a different birthday party on the first Friday of every month, but I missed August and September. I have no good excuse other than I forgot. While I will continue to add birthday ideas and cake tutorials, I will just share them on a random basis. I hope that's okay. Perhaps, this cake recipe will make it up to you!
My youngest son has been taking Tae Kwon Do for over a year and a half, so when they started offering birthday parties, where to go and what to do for his seventh birthday was a no-brainer. We booked the party and invited all his baseball teammates and boy classmates, sorry girls. It was such an easy party for me but so much fun for the kids. They were taught how to do flying side kicks, competed to see who could jump over the most pads, and broke boards. The birthday boy got to do even more as the star of the show. When it was time to break for cake, he even got to cut it with a Ninja sword!
To go along with the theme of the party, I created a Tae Kwon Do belt promotion cake by laying cake and icing in all the colors of the belts. Okay, so we skipped the white belt out of necessity, but the rest are all there, and that's seven layers! Are you curious about how I did it? 

First, I mixed up two boxes of white cake mix, following the instructions on the box. I then divided the batter evenly into three bowls. The order in which someone earns his belts at my son's Tae Kwo Do studio is white, yellow, orange, green, blue, red, brown, and belt. To make that all work, I added food coloring to the three bowls with the cake batter in yellow, green, and red. (I use traditional food coloring most of the time, but to make red, I've discovered the no-flavor red gel works best.) 

Then, I got out two tubs of white icing and dyed one orange and one blue. I gave up on using my homemade buttercream when having to dye it because the colors never blend as well. 

I baked the three layers of cake in 9-inch round pans. Look how vibrant the colors turned out!        
Once the cakes were cooled, I stacked them according to belt color, making sure to give each layer a super thick layering of icing since I wanted it to ooze out of the sides to show off all five colors. I then iced the top layer with chocolate icing and used black gel icing to decorate it. In the picture here, I had drawn a black belt with the icing. This was my tester cake I made the week before. For the actual party, I used the black gel icing to write "Happy Birthday" on the top. The party was an amazing success, according to the fourteen boys in attendance, and so was the cake. At least, I'm guessing it was since there wasn't any left for me to photograph a slice. 
 

I'll be sharing this post at some of these parties here or here.     



 

11 comments:

  1. What an awesome party and cake. My lucky Godson is so lucky to have such a clever mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun cake! I love the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love how you used icing to be different layers of coloring! Thanks for linking up to PIN MEme! I've pinned & tweeted this!

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network
    Link Rink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. My son would love to make this with me!
    Thanks for sharing at FFF. Your Co-Host Jutta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Thanks for linking this up to The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I love cake, very cute and fun!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo look at that cake! Pretty :) Happy Birthday to your son!

    Thanks for sharing with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party!
    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. I love a multicolor treat :) Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun cake! I really want to try making one :)
    Thanks for sharing at Artsy Corner! Hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fun party! Love the idea of making the cake with the diferent belt colors! Thanks for sharing on Busy Monday.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Please know I read each one.

Blogging tips