Recent Posts

Recent Posts...

Friday, October 26, 2012

From T-Shirt to Treasure: Part 1

Welcome to my first series. This will be a five-part sewing series on re-purposing t-shirts. I hope you'll come back over the next five Fridays to see what else I share about t-shirt re-purposing and re-styling. 

 Part One: Re-Purposing Messed Up T-Shirts
Is it just me, or do any of you also find tiny holes in the front of your t-shirts close to your waistline? Seeing that in never happened when t-shirt lengths were shorter nor while I was pregnant and wore those lovely stretchy jeans and pants, I’ve decided those holes come from wearing a seat belt with jeans on (or anything with a button for the seat belt to rub up against). If you have a better answer, I’d love to hear it, but I know it’s not ants because it happens to shirts I hang and shirts I fold, and it happens to all brands. It frustrates me to no end when an adorably cute t-shirt that I’ve worn like three times has the tiniest hole, and I watch for them these days. Once I get several holes, I give up. 

I used to just toss the shirts since they weren’t even worth donating with all those holes, but that bothered me. I recycle, donate, and re-purpose as much as possible, so the thought of throwing away an article of clothing seems so wrong to me. What could I possibly do with a t-shirt that was in great shape aside from those pesky holes toward the bottom? Well, unless half-shirts come back in style, I can’t just cut off the bottom few inches, re-hem and wear them. Please, oh, please don’t let half-shirts come back. As much as I’d love to get to wear these t-shirts again, nobody needs to see my belly after baby #4 took its toll! 
Since I wasn’t crafty enough on my own to figure out a worthwhile way to salvage these bits of fabric, I trusted on my fellow bloggers for their expertise, and wouldn’t you know it. They gave me some grand ideas! Here are my ten favorite projects using old t-shirts that we would have thrown away anyway. I hope to make some day:

While it might not be flip flop weather this time of year, it could be a great time to buy some basic flip flops on clearance so you can make these adorable ones for spring:

Flip Flop Redo, Refashion, Shoe







I can't wait to get started on this project because I need it to create something I will be showcasing during the fourth week. The only bad part about this is it requires t-shirts without side seams, which is hard to find these days.

tshirtyarn_making14


This project is just too adorable even though Halloween has just passed. I love these colors, but I'm thinking about making one for other holidays as well. Can't you just picture a beautiful Christmas one or a spunky Easter one?

ishouldbemoppingthefloor's wreath


This bag is great for a quick project. Wouldn't it be ideal to take to the Farmer's Market?

practical-stewardship.com's re-purposed handbag

I absolutely love this scarf! And it's just in time for cooler weather too.
Navy T-Shirt Scarf Tutorial
simplysalvage's ruffle scarf


Doesn't this rug look so soft on your toes? 
t-shirt shag rug tutorial
mollykaystoltz's shag rug


I love bracelets, and these are such fun ones!

henryhappened.com's braided-t-shirt-bracelets


These flowers are beautiful, aren't they? Wouldn't they be lovely attached to a headband or hair clip?
super nifty flowers out of t-shirts
emilys-little-world's fabric-flower 


Here's another quick yet very practice project. The possibilities for this bag are endless when you have kids at home who love little toys!
t-shirt sleeve pouches
craftingagreenworld's draw-string pouch


I so want to make these to keep my hair out of my face when I'm washing it at night, but they are also cute enough to wear when I don't feel like styling my hair before heading out.




Which of these projects are your favorites? Be sure to come back next Friday for the second part in this five-week series. I'll be focusing on redesigning t-shirts into fabulous clothes.

I'll be sharing this post at some of these parties here or here. 











29 comments:

  1. Bonny that is so funny, I absolutely have those holes, I had NO idea what caused them, that idea is as good as any. Thanks for linking up.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonny, thank you for visiting yellowcloth! I hope you love the maxi skirt tutorial. Let me know if and when you make one and I'll feature a picture on my blog!
    xoxo
    Jacinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for featuring my flip flops! I love the ideas you put together

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! You have a great site. Thanks for participating at SHOW-licious Craft Showcase! :) I host it every week, I hope you return to post more of your great things!

    xoxo,
    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, dear..find you and very happy too see good photo & great stylish ideas in your blog!!!
    I be happy more if u be "my sweet reader")
    I promise following 4 u back!!!

    xoxo Lucky

    http://luckysweeeetchild.blogspot.ru/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've wondered about those holes too and was about to throw out a few of my old favorite shirts... now i want to make some flowers for Kate with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great collection of features!!! Love them all!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I featured this on my site if you would like to grab a "I've Been Featured" on button! You can find it on the right sidebar. :) Thank you for sharing this! http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2012/10/10-projects-for-old-t-shirts-sewing.html

    xoxo,
    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome ideas! I have pinned & tweeted it. I am also now following you on FB, Tw, & Pin! Thanks for linking up!

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network
    Link Rink

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!!! i am not a crafty person but i am sure going to try this one :-) I love your blog and im a follower now..

    Have a great day :-)

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those tiny holes happen to me too! I always figured it was something about my belt rubbing and making holes... Great ideas, thanks for the roundup, and thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't worn a belt since I gave up on tucking in my t-shirts, but that would probably do it too. Whatever the cause, it's frustrating. :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much for featuring my t-shirt to bag tutorials!! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those little holes drive me crazy, too! I'm always trying to think of how I can still wear them! One thing I do is wear them with a cardi. Then you can still see the cute design, but not the holes. Ha ha! These are great projects, too. :)

    Jillian
    Hi! It's Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get those holes... but it's usually from my dog jumping up on me.. or the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonny,
    OMG I have several shirt with those little tiny holes and keep wondering what little creature is eating my shirts, lol. I think your idea makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share next week! Have a wonderful weekend.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Noticed those little holes too - glad to have a theory on why they happen! Thanks so much so much for linking on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are great things to make from an old t-shirt. Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation. Your post got the most views so I will be featuring it tonight on my blog!!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting. Thanks! I grabbed your button and added it to my post and sidebar.

      Delete
  18. Those are some great ideas! I can always use inspiration when it comes to a ruined tshirt.
    Thanks for sharing at Artsy Corner, hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. All the collection of clothing that has been on that post mostly comprise to modern fashion era.this is great..!

    t-shirts

    ReplyDelete

  20. whatflop.com sells a new cool, funny, graphic t shirt every 24 hours for only £8/€10/$12! Get your limited
    edition tee now before its too late!

    design a t shirt
    print on shirts
    digital t shirt printing
    custom tee shirts
    create t shirts

    ReplyDelete
  21. so cool..... i like so much these cool T shirt..............

    ReplyDelete
  22. Digital T-Shirt Printing
    Here are at Once Vamped we are a small printing company that believes in
    trying to supply wonderful fashionable t-shirts for a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the very very informative post about clothing. This is really a good blog.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Please know I read each one.

Blogging tips