Recent Posts

Recent Posts...

Monday, September 24, 2012

Why I Enjoy Doing Laundry




As stay-at-home moms, we all have certain chores we love and those we hate. For instance, I absolutely hate mopping our wood floors and simply refuse to iron. Thankfully, my hubby knew ironing was not in my job description fairly early on in our relationship, probably because he noticed I never wore clothes that required it or when I did, they were never neatly pressed. Recently, he announced that as long as I would make the children eat and drink at the kitchen table, he would mop the wood floors every Monday. I grabbed some rope to tie the children to the chairs and did a happy dance. Okay, maybe I didn't do one of those things, but I was thrilled in his offer to help with this dreaded chore. Has he held up to his promise? Well... But I'm still hopeful.

Now I do have some favorite chores. Crazily, I enjoy mopping our bathroom floors because mopping tile is totally different. I also enjoy cleaning bathrooms. The toilets, not so much, but those four rooms are so noticeably sparkly when I finish that I felt like I really accomplished something people will notice and appreciate. I doubt my boys notice, but at least going into their bathroom isn't so scary for a day or two. If you keep up with my blog, you will remember my cleaning chart. I really work hard to keep up with it and obviously tend to quick wipe-downs in between the deep and dirty.

Another one of the chores I actually like is laundry. Many people think I'm nuts, especially when they consider the amount of laundry a family of six goes through when three of those members are constantly needing sports uniforms washed for practices and games. Do you want to know the secret behind why this is a favorite chore? I have two reasons.

First, I absolutely love, love, love my LG HE front loading washing machine and dryer my sweet hubby bought us this past year. It's silver and pretty, but most importantly, it cleans so well! When I like a product, I get really excited, and I've had plenty of friends and neighbors who have asked for recommendations to replace theirs, so I thought I'd just let you know what I recommend.

The main reason I enjoy this endless task is it means I have total control over the television. Yup, that's huge in a house with four guys! They know that when I sit down with baskets of clothes to fold, it's MY turn for the remote control! I take over the sofa and ottoman and search for all my favorite recorded shows. Now if that doesn't get guys to evacuate a room, not much will.  

So with baskets brimming with freshly washed clothes, a sofa to help me sort as I fold, and a show on the TV, I'm good to go for a solid hour of me time. I don't know how other people do it, but as I fold, I lay clothes by person and category. Each person gets his/her own section of the sofa, and I then stack clothes according to drawer. Socks get thrown into one big basket to be paired up last. I then put all three boys' socks into one large sock drawer in my room. They used to have their own sock drawers, but whenever they'd be dressed for the day and need to go back upstairs to grab a pair of socks, they'd fuss.

Then once I've sorted and folded, I put away hubby's, our daughter's, and mine. The boys are responsible for taking up their own piles and putting them into drawers. Anything that needs hanging, I will go up and do later. I recently bought some cute fabric baskets from Wal-Mart to help them carry up their piles. They have been working out great so far since large laundry baskets are too hard for them to manage going up the stairs and through the safety gates. 

Oh, and I forgot to mention one of the best parts: getting the dirty clothes together to sort and wash them. If you read my post about the make-your-own parachute soldiers, you'll remember the upstairs landing we have overlooking our family room. Well, I set a couple empty laundry baskets on the floor and let the boys drop their dirty clothes down over the railing to try to make it into the baskets. A friend suggested it shortly after we moved into this house, and I thought it was ingenious! So much easier than lugging heavy baskets down those stairs! Plus, the boys do it for me. They hate sorting clothes, so unless I can get one to do it from the chore box, I end up with that task.

So, while most of my friends have a major disdain for this chore, I found it to be quite rewarding. I have the boys toss down the dirty clothes, thus reducing some of the work. I use my super awesome washing machine and dryer with so many neat options I feel like I'm playing with a toy at times. I get to enjoy some TV time while folding. I get help in putting away clean clothes, which they've been able to do since they were six, probably as young as five if I helped get them into the drawers once they set them on their beds.  And since I don't iron, I really make out like a princess, well, better than Cinderella at least!   

What are your least favorite and most favorite chores? I'd love to hear how you tackle some of yours and perhaps learn ways to make some less daunting. Please share!



 



14 comments:

  1. I don't mind laundry - but here in Brazil we don't have dryers, so everything has to be hung up as well. Not too bad especially in the hot weather when things dry in a few hours. I also love a good TV show while I'm folding and sorting. Unfortunately the folded clothes sometimes tend to hang out in the baskets for a while before getting put away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taara, Thanks for sharing! I didn't know that about Brazil. It's very humid here, so it would probably take our laundry a long time to dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love laundry too! Some people think I'm crazy, but I love the way it smells and the sense of accomplishment. :-) yippie!! I'm not the only one! Marci...www.lifewithjoys.blogspot.com
    Btw...I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fold my clothes in front of the TV too. But I get so annoyed when people (my husband) don't put away the clothes I fold. Any tips? I refused folding his clothes for a while and he just lived out of the basket. I've also resorted to just putting them away sometimes... but it makes me angry.

      Delete
    2. Kathy, I'll put your husband's clean clothes away if you pick up my husband's dirty socks! I've finally decided that if leaving dirty socks around the house is one of his only vices, I'm pretty blessed, so I've sucked it up, stopped expecting him to do it, and do it myself. Perhaps you two can come up with a way to split chores. Since my husband will iron for our family, I'm willing to put away his clothes. Is there a chore your husband will start doing for you in return for you putting away his clothes?

      Delete
    3. Marci, Thanks! I just visited your blog and have started following it. I really enjoyed your posts!

      Delete
  4. I like laundry too. It makes me feel accomplished and organized. I do the folding while listening to music. :) I don't mind any chores really, except cleaning the bathroom or anything gross. I hate getting my hands dirty and those rubber gloves give me a rash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love doing laundry, the washing part. The folding part totally depends on what time of day it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love vacuuming because it is satisfying- you can see huge immediate results. Laundry is the same.. I also enjoy cleaning out closets! But I do hate to mop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vacuuming is rewarding too! I guess I like the chores where you can tell a difference once you are finished. Well, except for the closets. You want to come do mine? :)

      Delete
  7. I actually like folding laundry too, mopping the floors and vacuuming. But despise cleaning the bathrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love folding laundry too! I hate putting laundry in cuz i'm short and it's top load! New follower here stopping by from the Mommy-Brain Mixer, blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy washing dishes when there is total madness in the house because I can be in my own little world and getting them nice and shiny and clean. (When I say madness, I'm talking about kids playing and hubby playing video games or passing through talking to me off and on.) It's like I get to pretend I'm "cleaning away the noise and clutter" that they are making. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awesome way to think about it!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments! Please know I read each one.

Blogging tips