Recent Posts

Recent Posts...

Friday, September 21, 2012

Making a Necklace out of a Ring

When my mom's lung cancer returned early this summer, I was obviously devistated. I knew this next year I would have to rely heavily on my friends, family, and faith. I am one of those fortunate women who not only has an amazing mother but an amazing mother-in-law as well. Yes, you heard me correctly, I love my mother-in-law. Since her son and I got married, she has respected me as a wife, and since I gave her grandchildren, whom she lovingly spoils, she has respected me as a mother. I hope I can be as supportive toward my future daughter-in-laws.

Recently, my in-laws spent a weekend with us to attend my sister's sons' baptisms. See, she's such a great mother-in-law that my sister even considers her family. (My father-in-law is equally wonderful, but this post isn't about him.) Before they headed back home, they treated us to lunch. On our short drive back to our house, I received a text from her saying that she had left me a little something on my daughter's glider. Once we returned, I had to put my daugther down for her nap, so I eagerly opened the gift bag to find a loving note and two small gifts inside. One was a silver bracelet with the words of Joshua 1:9 engraved all around it. If you recall, that was the passage I gave my oldest son with his graduation bracelet. I had chosen it because it was my confirmation passage years before and had been one of my favorites to hold on to during diffiucult times. It was perfect! The second gift was a ring, similar to the bracelet, but it had the words of Proverbs 3:5 on it. I had just posted that onto my Facebook page a few weeks ago, just after learning the news about my mom's cancer. Wow! If you aren't familiar with these verses, here they are:

Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid,  neither be though dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

Now, you may begin to wonder what this all has to do with a necklace since she didn't give me one of those. As much as I loved the ring, it was too big. I wear sizes 5 and 7, but this was a 9. It wouldn't even stay on my thumb, and I didn't want it to be loose; I couldn't lose it. It couldn't be resized, so I decided to make it into a necklace. I first thought I'd simply put it on one of my silver chains, but then I remembered seeing some cool bracelets on Pinterest.com that I had pinned. I also had a spool of heavy duty black thread that I bought on accident. I had tried sewing with it, but it was too thick, so I had saved it for future projects.






I followed the instructions from Sweet Verbena's blog here: bracelets tutorial, but made a few required changes so it would work as a necklace.

First, I cut my heavy duty black thread into two 24" pieces. You may want yours a different length, so to determine that, take one of your necklaces and measure it. Add two inches and cut two pieces that same length.

Next, I followed Sweet Verbena's instructions for attaching the ring to the thread. Basically, you'll have a loop that's created when you fold your piece of thread in half. Place that loop under one side of the ring and pull the two end pieces through the loop and pull tight, making sure the thread lengths stay even on both ends. Repeat with the other side.













Lastly, we need to create our latch, so we can safely and comfortably wear our ring necklace. Since I had to buy a few more items for back-to-school, I snuck into the craft section at Wal-Mart and found some silver-colored spring rings. I simply tied the thread onto the rings with double knots, and now I have a great little necklace to remind me not only of my mother-in-law's love and support but that of God's as well.


I'll be sharing this recipe at some of these parties here or here.     




 


5 comments:

  1. Love this, Bonny! You are SO blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new necklace. You do have the most wonderful in-laws and parents. I agree with Becky - You are SO blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute Bonny, thanks for linking up ;)
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie,
    I love this. It is so pretty.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea!!! Very pretty!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Please know I read each one.

Blogging tips