Recent Posts

Recent Posts...

Monday, September 10, 2012

Japanese Noodles

One of the perks of marrying a man of Japanese decent is the food. Before I met my husband, my only exposure to Japanese food was Benihana's. On one of our first dates, he took me to a mom-and-pop Japanese restaurant that introduced me to the less Americanized items. This was in 1993; now, Japanese restaurants are very popular, but back then, I was amazed to learn that sushi didn't mean raw fish. Some of my new favorite Japanese items were katsu, nodi maki (California rolls), and tempura shrimp.

Over the years, my husband has taught me how to cook some of these dishes. We rarely make tempura because it's very messy and needs to be eaten right away, so despite its popularity among our friends who insist we cook Japanese food when it's our turn to host dinner clubs, we rarely mess with it. They are forgiving as long as they get to eat homemade katsu and California rolls, thankfully. 

One of the more recent items I learned how to make is a lovely meal, especially for the summer because it's so light. It's a fun lunch dish as well, and it has become a huge hit not only among our family but whenever we serve it to guests. In fact, it's what we served for our daughter's second birthday party this summer.

It's called Yashi Soba, but we just refer to it as Japanese noodles.

Ingredients:
  • 1 package of angel hair pasta (we only use Buitoni)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 large cucumber, peeled
  • 1 package of cooked ham lunch meat (medium sliced) 
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp sesame oil
  1. Cook the pasta according to directions for denti. Then rinse with cool water.
  2. Scramble two eggs, seasoning with salt and pepper. Then cook in a small frying pan like you would an omelet. Repeat with the other two eggs. (Cooking the eggs two at a time, allows them to be thin without having to use a large frying pan, which makes them too large to easily flip and manipulate.)  
  3. Once your eggs are cooked, set them on a cutting board and slice into long but thin strips, about 1/4" thick.
  4. After you've peeled your cucumber, cut it in half. Then cut it into thin strips, similar in size to the egg slices.
  5. Cut your ham into equally thin slices.
  6. Put the pasta into a large pasta serving dish. Then place the eggs together, covering 1/3 and doing the same with the ham and then the cucumber. Chill.
  7. Now we can mix up the sauce. Simply pour the vinegar, rice vinegar, sugar, and sesame oil together. You can either mix it with a whisk or use a shaker, which is what we do. Because the ingredients will separate as you let the sauce sit, you will need to give it a quick stir or shake from time to time. You can pour it over your entire dish, but we prefer to let our guests pour it over their own serving so they can get as much or as little as they'd like.
  8. When I prepare this meal for my family, I keep all four ingredients separate and make individual dishes, based on what items my kids like more of. That's what the photograph below shows.

Considering my children are only 1/8th Japanese, they sure do love their Japanese food. And who can blame them with such yummy recipes as this one?

You can find me at these parties!     

4 comments:

  1. After living in Japan for a year (years ago), I became a big fan of Japanese food...some of it, anyway. We make yaki soba, yaki udon, and even okinomiyaki pretty regularly. Going for sushi tonight. Yum! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We vacationed there about 15 years ago and loved it, but I will admit that on about day 8, we were excited to see the Golden Arches in Tokyo. How cool that you got to live there for a while! I need to visit you at Sunny Stitching to check out what you are working on. I'm always looking for new sewing ideas.

      Delete
  2. I love it. It's so healthy and tasty!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Please know I read each one.

Blogging tips