Recent Posts

Recent Posts...

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Chicken & Rice Dinner with Flat Bread

I like cooking chicken once a week, but I’ve noticed my children aren’t the biggest fans of this bird, well, unless it comes fried and packaged in a red and white box marked “Chic Fil A.” However, I still buy it in bulk from http://www.zayconfoods.com/ because I enjoy chicken and hope my children will start liking it better too.

In an effort to find new recipes that will persuade them to eat the serving I give them or at least not moan when I hand them their plates, I searched pinterest.com for easy recipes. I figure if half my family doesn’t want it, why spend an hour in the kitchen preparing it? I came across a link to this blog: joyful-mommas-kitchen.blogspot.ca and decided to try her wild rice and chicken recipe for dinner. Since the purpose of these recipes is to create them to freeze for a busy night later on, I decided to double the recipe and freeze half.

I had to make a few adjustments. First, since I buy my chicken in bulk and had 40 pounds of chicken breasts in my freezer, I wasn’t going to buy thighs for this recipe. I figured since it called for six thighs, I could use three chicken breasts for each pan. I first cut them in half since these breasts are so thick and then cut those halves in half so I wouldn’t need to alter the cooking time. However, I did end up having to cook mine 20 minutes longer, probably because these quartered chicken breasts were still rather big, and though they were defrosted, they were still very cold. When I prepare this meal again, I’ll most likely just cut up the chicken into even smaller pieces to keep the cooking time at an hour.

Next, when I decided to double the recipe, I used one large (26 oz) cream of mushroom can and a regular (10.5 oz) cream of chicken can, partly because I have several of the large cans I need to use up. This meant I would not fully double the amount of soup in my recipe since doubling it requires 42 ounces, and I only used 36.5 ounces. It worked out just fine. In fact, as I was filling my two square pans (one glass for this night and one aluminum to freeze) and adding the chicken, my pans started to overflow. Maybe my 8x8 aluminum pan wasn’t as deep as hers or my chicken conversion was wrong.

I discovered the last altercation as we ate our meal. I figured since it called for so much soup, it would have enough sodium to satisfy our need for salt. The recipe did not say to season the chicken, but I recommend salting and peppering it to taste.

What I liked about this recipe was how easy it was to make and to double, so I could prepare two meals at once. It doesn’t dirty up the kitchen much either. Now, how did my kids like it? They picked out the mushrooms and avoided the sauce, but that didn’t surprise me since they are typically boring eaters. They did eat it without complaint, which I'll call a success. I will make it again because I liked cooking it and eating it. I cooked corn as a side dish, and when I got bites of the corn mixed in with the sauce, it was yummy, so I’m thinking of adding some frozen corn into it next time.
I also made some flat bread as an additional side and will share that recipe because it’s very simple, and any time I serve it to guests, they love it!
Flat Bread Recipe
Ingredients:
1 can of frozen biscuits (I prefer the Grands size.)
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Basil and/or Oregano
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spread a light coating of olive oil over each biscuit and flatten with your hands.
3. Lay them on a large baking sheet, pressing them flat again as they tend to shrink back up.
4. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, oregano, and Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake for approximately 16 minutes or until they turn a light brown.
6. Use a pizza cutter to slice each biscuit into four strips.

I'm also going to try the Joyful Momma's Kitchen's potato soup recipe because I love potato soup, and this one looks very easy. I think my flat bread will go well with that recipe too!

You can find me at these parties!

3 comments:

  1. It's a great recipe!
    Don't you know that you can store and share your recipe with more than 13,000 foodies around the world?
    We have an online cookbook and community, and surely we're always looking for more creative recipes to add to our database.
    www.mycookbook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's a cool way to use refrigerator biscuits! And your kids don't like eating chicken?? What? I cook chicken most of the time when we're eating meat, since it's cheaper than most other meats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where I went wrong with them! :)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments! Please know I read each one.

Blogging tips