Recent Posts

Recent Posts...

Monday, September 17, 2012

Beef Stroganoff

Growing up, there were a handful of special recipes my mom made that I loved. She still makes them for the entire family on Sunday evenings, but once we were adults, she shared with us a few of her recipes so we could make these meals for our own families. One of those recipes is beef stroganoff. Now I don't know where this particular recipe originated. I know that it wasn't something passed down from her mother, a Southern farmer's wife who would never have cooked something with such an odd name. While I don't know the origin of this recipe, I know I love it, so I'm happy to share it with you! 

I do remember the first time I made the recipe. I was a junior in college and was going on a date with my boyfriend (who is my hubby now). Before we went out, we were going to eat at my apartment, and I wanted to impress him with my culinary skills. After all, don't all good Southern moms teach their daughters that the best way to a man's heart is his stomach? After making it, I was a bit unimpressed by my mom. I don't mean that harshly, but the recipe just wasn't that hard. After all, a key ingredient is a can of soup. I'm sure there are some delicious from-scratch stroganoff recipes out there, but this ain't it!

As I was preparing this meal for dinner tonight, my husband announced that he had watched on TV recently how to make a healthy version. It involved turkey, but I didn't bother to learn the rest. I figure it may be fattening, but it's too good to ruin by substituting ingredients. It's not like we eat this on a weekly basis, and if I serve it with some healthy sides as I did tonight (fresh peaches and mango along with a salad), it's okay to splurge. This is also one of the recipes from my weekly menu planning board, so if you want to check out others, visit this post.






 
Ingredients:
1 lb. top sirloin or top roast
1 cup flour
salt & pepper, to taste
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 small onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup beef bouillon
1 large can of Cream of Mushroom
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 bag of egg noodles (serves 8)


1. First, boil the water for the noodles. (Just follow those instructions on the package.) Next, chop your onion and let it cook with a little of the oil in a large skillet. Meanwhile, slice up your meat and season it with salt and pepper. (Am I weird for liking the looks of raw beef? It's not like I want to eat it raw, but it just looks good!)

2. Add the minced garlic to the pan and stir in with the onions. (Yum! I feel like I'm really cooking when I can smell up my kitchen with the aroma of chopped onions and garlic sauteing.) Put the flour in a pie plate and be sure to coat the meat thoroughly with it. Add a bit more oil in the skillet if necessary. Then add the coated meat to the skillet and sprinkle on the Worcestershire sauce.

3. By this point, you may be ready to add in your noodles to the boiling water. Once the meat is cooked, add in the cup of bouillon. (I use the dry kind with a cup of water.) Stir in the can of cream of mushroom soup and allow everything to simmer for 10 minutes. Be sure to remove and rinse the noodles when they are ready.

4. Add in the sour cream about five minutes before serving. Stir together.








My family has always served our plates with the noodles and then add the sauce/meat mixture on top instead of creating a huge pot of both, but it's up to you. This should serve four to six people, but for our family of six, there is still enough for leftovers for hubby and me to eat the next day. Our kids aren't big fans of the sauce, but that's the best part to me.

Doesn't it look delish?! If you make this recipe, please let me know what you think, or if you have your own version of beef stroganoff, I hope you'll share it!


I'll be sharing this recipe at some of these parties here or here.     


8 comments:

  1. Looks good! Would love for you to join our Foodie Friends Friday linky party! Enjoy your Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, Lois. I'll be sure to do that!

      Delete
  2. That looks super yummy! Your blog is amazing!

    Thank you so much for inviting me over. I am now a follower of your blog. I would love to do a button swap! Thanks for asking. I will go ahead and grab your code and put it on my blog!!
    Jill
    2yellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I have added your button to my collection on the left. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I have to make this for my Dad, he LOVES beef stroganoff!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, I hope you'll let me know if it's a hit with your dad! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Mmmm...I love beef stronganoff! Thanks for coming out to Foodie Friends Friday and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bonnie,
    I love beef stroganoff. Your recipe looks amazingly good. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/how-to-make-natural-tinted-lip-balm-and.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Please know I read each one.

Blogging tips