Recent Posts

Recent Posts...

Friday, July 13, 2012

Bucket List Activity #10: Glow in the Dark Mountain Dew

While I had purchased the Mountain Dew weeks ago, we didn't have en evening free to do this particular bucket list activity until now. Hubby had to work late, and thanks to the nine inches of rain that poured down on us over the past three days, we didn't have any football, so after tae kwon do, a late dinner of mini calzones, and some brownies my 11-year-old son made for us for dessert, we decided to get to this exciting activity.

Exciting? That's an enormous overstatement. It was a major flop. You see, I found this super cool glowing bottle of Mountain Dew on pinterest.com and went to the website where it showed a believable video of a person pouring out all but about 1/2 inch of Mountain Dew from the bottle and then spooning in about 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and three capfuls of Hydrogen Peroxide. Then he shook it, and it instantly glowed. Well, when we tried it, nothing happened, so we went back to the video to watch it together, and that's when I decided to scroll down to read the reviews. Boy, I wish I had done that before selecting this activity for our bucket list. Hundreds of people complained at how this was a flop. A couple people even said they had read about this hoax on snopes.com. I looked it up, and sure enough, I felt like a fool. Here's the link if you want to see for yourself: http://www.snopes.com/photos/food/mountaindew.asp.  It shows the original video and a real one that proves, just like our experiment, that this does not work. 

We had actually made three of these simultaneously, hense the empty Gatorade bottles. None worked, which is no surprise after reading the information on Snopes, so if you come across this video on Pinterest or Facebook, please share with others that it is an allusion and scientifically cannot work. We were bummed a little, but my kids were just thrilled that they got to drink a few sips of Mountain Dew as I would never have bought it otherwise. Here's a picture of one of our bottles. There is nothing exciting about it.    

Pros:
  1. It reminded us that we can't always believe what we see and the importance of thorough and accurate research.

Cons:
  1. It is a hoax, so it's a complete waste of time unless you want to teach your children the lessons I mentioned above.

Cost: It requires three capfuls of Hydrogen Peroxide, which we had on hand and is very inexpensive anyway, and a tiny amount of baking soda, which we also always have on hand and is also relatively inexpensive. My only loss was the $1 I spent on the Mountain Dew because it was on sale; however, my husband drank it, so I guess the activity was almost free.

I'll be sharing this post at some of these parties here or here.     


Lil’ Mrs. Tori






21 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. It makes me so mad when stuff like that happens. Glad you weren't out too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son just told me about this and wanted to try it! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a shame, I hate when people post bogus stuff. Thank you for sharing this, I'll be sure not to try it:(

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Some people. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to remove it from my Pinterest site right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are spoilers everywhere. I do not understand what pleasure they would get out of posting a hoax! At least your children learned not to believe everything they hear or read!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer. I remember reading this one thinking it was cool, but then people started posting it was a hoax. Thank you for sharing your experience at Artsy Corner! I can't wait to see what you share next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what people do to get people to go onto their blog/pinterest sites. Thank you for the heads up! I found you on Busy Monday where you linked this & I linked too! I am a new follower & I hope you will do the same & follow me too! Thanks again~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dislike when people put bogus claims out for everyone to see. I'm glad you debunked it, though, so every time I see someone pin this, I'm going to pass this info along.

    Shannon
    Fixing for friday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bummer it didn't work, it would have been a very cool project! Glad you pointed it out so we don't try it as well. Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip! We were wanting to try it, so thanks for the heads up! :)
    Keep up the amazing work :)
    Thanks for sharing at Artsy Corner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh really?!? I had this pinned on my board. Bummer:( Guess I should remove it now. A good lesson for your kiddos though! Thanks for linking up at Tuesdays with Tori!

    Tori

    ReplyDelete
  12. NO WAY!!! I've seen this on Pinterest too and thought it would be fun to do with my boys!! So glad you linked this up at www.therusticpig.com today!! I had no idea!! My kids would have loved drinking Mountain Dew too! That would have been the ultimate thrill for them! Hee hee!! Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. good to know thanks!
    saw you on DIY dreamer link up

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh!!! Darn!! Thanks for letting us know that it doesn't work!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I check a lot of stuff on snopes.com but usually stuff that comes through email. Never would have thought to check a Pinterest pin. I'll remember this.
    Saw you sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some people in this world have such a WEIRD sense of humor.
    Over from Show and Share...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good to know! I've been meaning to try this with my kids, but just never got around to it. Guess we'll be skipping this one. It such a shame that some people would do something like that. It looks like such a cool project. Sorry you had to suffer through the disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to know! The lesson learned is a good one for kids to know -- you can't always believe everything you read. Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday. .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonny,
    Great lesson. I appreciate the honesty. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/10/almond-sugar-body-scrub-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. We tried this BEFORE I had researched to see it was a hoax as well. I think I was more bummed than my son. Here is one that should work. Now need to find the black light...

    http://video.about.com/chemistry/How-to-Make-Glowing-Water.htm

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Suzanne. I will check this out!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Please know I read each one.

Blogging tips