Recent Posts

Recent Posts...

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Homemade produce wash

 

Do you remember as a child, twisting the apple stem while saying the alphabet to determine who you were going to marry? A, B, C… Well, that’s how we came up with the name of the imaginary boy who used to embarrass me: Quinton Xylophone. Okay, you might be thinking I led a pretty bizarre childhood about now, so let me explain. I’m the youngest of four girls, and when I was little, my dad used to tease us by pretending some boys were coming over. I don’t know why, but being from a family with no boys, the idea of boys coming over was just awful. After all, boys had cooties.

He’d use this crazy voice, pretending they were at the door, asking for me to come out. As I grew older and changed my view of boys, my dad found a way to continue with the game. He decided that the owner of this crazy voice was my boyfriend (or at least this annoying boy who wanted to be my boyfriend). It drove me nuts!

One night, at the dinner table, I decided to eat an apple and began, as always, with the ritual of twisting off the stem while saying the letters of the alphabet; however, with an audience, I knew I needed a way to pull the stem off with a letter that no boy’s name began with. I strategically pulled it off at Q. To my dismay, my dad quickly announced the name Quinton. I grabbed another apple and carefully twisted the stem until I got to X. And now my imaginary boyfriend was named. Let me remind you that I didn’t want an imaginary boyfriend; my family forced him upon me. Ugh! Being the youngest is sometimes annoying.

 Let’s move ahead 25 years. Do I still twist off my stem? Nope. However, every time I eat an apple, I think of my dad and his constant teasing of his little girls. He teases me a lot less now, but I’m still his little girl and always will be. All these years, I still enjoy a good apple though my preference for the tart Granny Smith has changed to the sweet organic Gala. After all, apples are among the 12 dirty dozen produce items*. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to convince the rest of my family to buy organic. Thankfully, I learned about a homemade produce wash during a MOPS meeting that helps remove some of those nasty chemicals on fruits and veggies. I used to use a store-bought one, but it’s rather costly. Here’s the instructions…

Homemade Produce Wash:

o      1 cup purified water
o      1 cup distilled white vinegar
o      1 Tbsp. baking soda
o      20 drops of grapefruit seed extract (can be found at health food and/or vitamin stores)

Step One: Pour water into spray bottle. Add 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract.

Step Two: Pour vinegar into 2 cup measuring cup. Slowly mix in baking soda because when it’s mixed with vinegar, it will bubble up quite a bit. Once it’s settled down, pour into the spray bottle.









Step Three: Spray mixture on produce. Let stand for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.

*In case you were wondering about the Dirty Dozen, here they are:

  1. Celery
  2. Peaches
  3. Strawberries
  4. Apples
  5. Domestic blueberries
  6. Nectarines
  7. Sweet bell peppers
  8. Spinach, kale and collard greens
  9. Cherries
  10. Potatoes
  11. Imported grapes
  12. Lettuce

So if you, like me, want to avoid as many chemicals as possible but can’t afford to go 100% organic, you can at least keep this list handy when you go shopping, and when you can’t buy organic, use the produce wash to reduce the amount of chemicals on your food.


To see the linky parties where I shared this tutorial, click here.

5 comments:

  1. I love this. We have a house in mexico, and you can't eat the produce without cleaning it first. It is great to know that I can make it, rather then buying the bottles to soak it in. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/tangerine-toner-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    Hope to see you there. It is open until Sunday night.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's party time over at Debt Free Mommy Blog and you're invited!! Please stop on in and link up with Making Space Mondays. We look forward to seeing any post(s) about making your space better. Hope to see you there. -Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous! I am always really worried about the pestisides on fruite when I bring it home.. Thanks so much for sharing this at our Weekend Wonders link party! We hope to see you back on Thursday night! Have an excellent day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonny,
    Thanks SO much for this post! I've been looking at getting a produce wash and the ones in the store are so expensive. I can't wait to make up a batch at home. Do you know how long it will last?

    Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week. Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, it depends on how much produce you'll use. I don't use it on the organic produce, so it took me about six months to use up the batch I mixed up last time. The grapefruit seed extract will take forever to use up unless you find other uses for it. There are a lot of cleaning and medicinal purposes for it, but I haven't used it for anything else. You split it with a friend to cut down on the cost of it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments! Please know I read each one.

Blogging tips